St Anthony’s is located on the traditional lands of the Darumbal people. We respectfully acknowledge the Darumbal people, past, present and future, as the traditional owners of the land on which our school stands.
The school was first established in 1901 by the Sisters of Mercy. On the 20th January 1901, the school began operation in the new church at Koongal. The school was established to service the needs of the large number of families drawn to the area by the Canoona Gold Rush and the eventual establishment of Lakes Creek Meat Works. The Church was named after St Nicholas the patron saint of butchers.
Over 80 years later, on 14th July 1981, the school was moved from its original site in Koongal to the current site of Norman Gardens. The relocated school was open and blessed as St Anthony’s.